The Black Forest wildfire continues to burn with zero percent containment with hundreds of homes burned and over 8000 acres scorched on the morning of June 13, 2013. Colorado residents have once again risen to the task of helping out with livestock and family pets with dozens of pet rescue and horse rescue organizations online.
The largest Facebook presence to check first for information about the Black Forest fire is “The Colorado Black Forest Fire 2013” page.
Horse Evacuations East has been instrumental in organizing the transport of lost and found horses in the area.
Admin LZ had this to say about the Black Forest Colorado volunteers “We have to say it, you know we do – COLORADO – YOU GUYS ROCK! We work disasters all over the country and you guys are just terrific! Level headed, getting it done, terrific!!!!”
Black Forest Fire Updates
Update 3:10 p.m.: Right lane closed NB & SB I-25 Interquest – Baptist in Colorado Springs for Black Forest fire evacuations. Exits east of I-25 closed per CDOT.
Update 3:45 p.m. Immediate help is needed at Castle Rock’s Twisted Trail Stables. Many animals were dropped off in the middle of the night and the owner needs volunteers desperately to help take care of all the different animals.. please call303-902-3445.
- Black Forest Lost and Found Colorado Pets
- Colorado Pets Lost and Found
- Colorado Springs Lost Pet Alert
- Colorado Pet Lovers Lost & Found
- Colorado House Rabbit Association
Horse Evacuation Pasture & Stall Resources
- Norris Penrose Event Center Colorado Springs
- Elbert County Fairgrounds
- Soccer Fields of Colorado
- El Paso County
Available locations for large animal evacuations:
- Elbert County Fairgrounds Kiowa, CO(Nearing Capacity)
- Adams County Fairgrounds (recently opened)
- El Paso County Fairgrounds (Calhan, CO) Can also take RVs
- Cactus Creek Ranch (Fountain, CO) Can take small herds of livestock
- Suggs Performance Horses (Fountain, CO) limited space
- Flying W Ranch (Colorado Springs, CO) pasture space only
- Norris Penrose Equestrian Center (AT CAPACITY! NEED HAY!)
- Nancy Chesney-Devaney Performance Horses- Castle Rock, CO (can take stallions)
- LATIGO EQUESTRIAN CENTER IS NOW UNDER MANDATORY EVACUATION.
If you can offer evacuation/shelter or need evacuation or shelter please post on the event page above. Please list number of horses you can accomodate via transport and facilities. Please make sure you give your city, state, phone or email. If there are any missing or found horses a report can be filed with Netposse.com and they will waive their fee. Please also cross register with Fleetofangels.org.
Small Animal Resources in Colorado Springs
610 Abbot Lane
Colorado Springs, CO 80905
All Breed Rescue and Training:
20 Mt View Ln Colorado Springs, CO 80907
Lucky Dog Resorts
Central Location can take Dogs.
4401 Mark Dabling Blvd
South Location can take Dogs and Cats
2801 Janitell Rd E
Aspen Meadows Pet Resort is offering free shelter for pets who have been evacuated from any of the fires.
For more information call 719-282-6000
1535 Paonia St.
Colorado Equine Veterinary Services needs volunteers to go help trailer animals out. They also need people at the clinic, call 719-749-9500 for more information.
We will continue to update this page as conditions change.